Thursday, May 27, 2010

Initiation into the "Ben-yay" club, Mississippi River, New Friends, and Anderson Cooper up close and personal :) Day 1 in NOLA

Today I started off a little bit worried about heading to New Orleans and I almost wanted to chicken out- but I am so so so thankful that I did not, because today goes down in my book as one of the best days of my life. New Orleans may be a little hot and humid right now- but it is so definitely worth it.

I arrived in NOLA at about 2:30 and was picked up by two “Kendall sign bearing girls” DeShannan and Kim. They gave me the education about a lot of stuff on the way to BFH where I was welcomely greeted by all the other staff members- might I just add they are awesome and this is going to be a fun and hilarious summer- gotta love em… I definitely don’t think they were quite prepared for what this NC girl is bringing them!

So when I got to the Friendship House, I got first dibs on the room- sorry girls, but a princess must control the air temperature- I will be reasonable and open to suggestions..JK- we will all work together on that one :) After chatting with everyone we went to pick up my roomie Julie- from SC (we are the Carolina girls) Then we were treated to a New Orleans favorite and staple- red beans (aka the kidney ones) and rice with all kinds of meat and stuff… Anyways- I was a little bit worried at first when I saw them on the kitchen counter being prepared to cooked- but they were delicious… I never would have given these things a chance in NC- good thing I like it because it is on the menu for Mondays from what I hear. After we ate- all together of course, the Mississippi girls arrived- Nealy and Lauren…
Then we were off to get a taste of this wonderful city. It was the best walk of my life. Thanks to Kay my feet didn’t hurt to bad- I can’t believe someone talked me out of wearing my “mini-heels” but she was really persuasive. So I wore flip flops. I can’t remember all the names of the streets that we went down- but they were pretty awesome. The French Quarter is beautiful- I even got to see Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s house… Now if I can just go knock on the door one day….I will save that for another trip up town. We rode the free ferry across the Mississippi River- back and forth… The scene on the other side of the river (the skyline of the French Quarter and stuff) was so awesome.

So then we are walking and we had noticed some cameras filming when we went and got on the ferry- but when we were walking back by- we realized it was the one and only Anderson Cooper!!! Can you believe it- within a few hours of being in New Orleans- I got to see a celebrity. However, I didn’t get to mark something off my bucket list because Karina and the others wouldn’t let me go touch him haha… Probably for the best. After checking Mr. Cooper out- we had to see how good he looked in person; I revealed some of my secret crushes- haha… I won’t get away from that one. Walking to CafĂ© du Monde (sorry I don’t remember the specific names- but maybe I will get it soon) I told lots and lots of stories and we had some pretty good convos…. While waiting for my Sprite and Ben-yay’s I showed off pictures of my special kitty kitties… needless to say- that kept us entertained….. So then Kay decided to "try" and initiate me- but it didn't go as planned- the "ben-yay's" have sugar all over them and evidentally to get initiated someone sneaks up behind you and blows the sugar all over you haha... I had already knocked most of mine off- so it didn't cover me.... After eating we returned to the BFH and started to get settled in…..

Of course- I had to take a shower before I put my pajamas on and I discovered that these showers are just a tiny-bit bi-polar… Maybe I can figure out what triggers their emotions before too long…. So that has been my absolutely wonderful day- and I can’t wait for it to continue tomorrow….

In all seriousness now- I am so thankful that God led me to come to New Orleans. I honestly feel like this is where I belong for the summer definitely, but who knows, I am thinking a return trip already…. I have fallen in love with every single part of the city- the ones who don’t have Christ in their life and are begging for help and a Savior on the streets, the beautiful scenery everywhere, to the children that I haven’t even met yet. I know this journey is going to leave me changed person- in fact, it already has. I just am so excited and can’t wait to see what is going to happen next and how I can use what God has given me to spread his word. I am also so thankful for all the staff and all the girls serving with me, these are some friendships that will never be lost or broken.

The biggest thing I can ask you to pray for is that we can prepare and just reach out to these girls that will begin camp on Monday. Calm any nerves that we may have and for everything to work out the way God intends it to. Pray for safety everywhere and that us girls can just prepare our heart, mind, and body to serve God the way he wants and needs us to. Also pray for all the staff here that they can get us missionaries prepared as well as what needs to be taken care of before the camp begins. Pray that every little girl’s life will be touched here this summer.

I love you all in DC- but I don’t miss ya to much yet- in all honesty- I really love it here so please don’t worry about me…

<3 Kendall

2 comments:

  1. it sounds like you have had a memorable day... glad you are in a group of peeps in a new place and taking it all in.
    I am praying for all of you. You are a mighty young woman in His hands.
    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear your stories! God is amazing and you are going to experience so much....love ya!

    ReplyDelete