Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Preparing for my journey to New Orleans

I should first start by explaining what this journey to New Orleans is going to involve and the "hows" and "whys" of this upcoming experience. I will be leaving RDU airport on May 27 for New Orleans, Louisiana.  I will be there for 2 entire months- 9 weeks!  I will be serving the highest and most awesome God in ways that I am not completely sure about.  The full extent of how I will be serving has not been revealed to me.  However, there are some things that I do know: 

I will be serving at the Baptist Friendship House- located within the French Quarter
The director and staff all seem so dedicated to this place and I can't wait to meet them
There will be three other girls serving with me
The main thing we will be doing is acting as sorta- camp counselors for a program called Up to Hope that the BFH puts together during the summer for girls from the age of 9-18
I know that it is going to be hot and muggy and I'm not sure if I am prepared for that
And the most comforting thing I know is that I will have wireless access- haha jk...
The most important and comforting this is that God is going to use me in ways that I can't even imagine and this mission trip is going to leave a lasting impact on my life.

As I am beginning to prepare my heart and mind for this experience, I have encountered a lot of problems and difficulties.  Satan is extremely unhappy with my choice to serve the Lord and he has been trying to deceive me and tempt me so that I will stumble.  Unfortunately I have stumbled some and it has caused me to fall completely down at times.  But every time my God has been there to help me up and wrap me in his loving arms.  I was not expecting any of these difficulties.  I felt that when I accepted God's calling for me to go on missions that I would be on such a "Spiritual High"  that I wouldn't fall at all.  Now that I have learned that I am going to be tempted and deceived, but as long as I turn to God in everything he will give me the strength to get over hard times, options to avoid temptation, and love and forgiveness that I need when I do mess up.  


So now my main focus is just allowing God to handle everything in my life by just going to him daily and giving him my burdens and right now I do have many.  As much happiness and "excitedness" I have about the opportunity- there is almost an equal amount of worry.


I have never been away from my sister and brother for this long
I am so sad that I won't be at KBC every Sunday to see that family
I will miss my parents and grandparents and other family members and summer events I will miss
I'm not a fan of cajun or spicy food
I don't know the conditions I will be living in or the culture shock I am going to face
I don't know anyone there 


Please pray that I can continue with an open heart, stay strong in the Lord and stand up for the right thing.  Pray that I can overcome any fears and worries by giving them to God and letting him provide me comfort.  Pray for my family and friends that will miss me as well.  Pray for safety traveling and during the two months I will be gone- as well as no health issues.  Pray that I can be an incredible witness and hopefully show Christ through every action and word I speak and that I can help bring someone to know Christ through my testimony.  


<3 Kendall

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!!..a blogger is born! Hey Girly...as I read your blog, I felt excitment build up inside of me. God has some "mighty" plans for you. Amazing. You may not even see the fruit of what you are going to do...but seeds will be planted...not only in those you're helping, but in you as well. This is gonna be some ride!!! Hold on tight! Love you much...Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Sue- I am still trying to learn all the ropes of blogging but hopefully by the time I leave I will have it pretty down pat.

    Thanks for the encouragement as well- I'm starting to get really excited as well.
    Love ya too!

    ReplyDelete